We all want to look after our health in terms of exercise, and what we eat, but how often do you consider that your cosmetics may be damaging your health?
Even the most health-conscious people can fail to consider how nail polish is affecting their bodies. Applying nail varnish is part of most women’s beauty regime, but recent research has shown that your nail polish could actually be harming your health.
Whether it’s the association of nails as inert objects on their fingers, or the thought that nails (unlike skin) don’t absorb certain compounds, people don’t really take what they put on their nails seriously.
Unfortunately, the nails do, just like skin, absorb substances that we put on them, and using nail polish is just as dangerous as putting toxic chemicals on your skin.
The study involved 24 women and experts evaluated the effects of the chemical toxins in their bodies. The source of these chemicals was nail polish. All of the participants were found to have signs of triphenyl phosphate in the body only 10 hours after applying nail polish.
The same researchers, in a follow-up study, evaluated 10 different nail polishes for triphenyl phosphate and found it in 8 of them. What’s more, two of these 8 did not even list the presence of the chemical on the label. Therefore, 20% of nail polishes we purchase have a harmful chemical that is not listed on the label.
What exactly is Triphenyl Phosphate?
TPHP is a known:
- Neurotoxin (causes developmental effects)
- Reproductive Toxin
- Skin irritant and allergen
- Endocrine Toxin
TPHP May Trigger the Following Negative Effects:
- Causes allergies and skin irritation;
- Acts as a neurotoxin and reproductive toxin;
- Disrupts the endocrine system.
Toxic Chemicals In Nail Polish
Although some of the ingredients are being phased out, most nail polish producers are simply replacing old ingredients for newer ones that have the same effects on our bodies.
In fact, Mentality Nail Polish recently went under fire for ruining people’s nails. The company released a statement on its Facebook page, telling users that the damage was just a “sensitivity” to Arminex, a new base ingredient used in the product. The company, after much debate, released a recall on all products produced with an Arminex base.